Sports is an integral part of the American lifestyle. It is an integral part of education.
There are about four broad purposes of sports, according to the American Sports data website:
- It provides children with "fun" and instant gratification;
- It fulfills what social psychologists call the "affiliative" need—friendship, and a sense of belonging;
- It offers the near-term prospect of healthier minds and bodies through physical exercise;
- For the longer term, its cumulative benefits hold the promise of those favorable "outcomes" associated with youth development.
Another website cites ten good reasons to engage young Americans in sports.
By participating in youth sports , the young athlete will:
1. Develop and become proficient at the various sports skills.
2. Develop skills needed to socialize with their peers as well as adults.
3. Develop independence and confidence.
4. Develop a sense of achievement, which helps develop a positive sel...
Read Complete Article at Bleacher Report - Sports & Society
Article is property of BleacherReport.com